Friday, May 29, 2015

Good Girl...Gone Redneck

  I was raised in Pennsylvania and I had a great childhood, good schools, formal dinners, fast paced lifestyle, traffic everywhere, people everywhere, not many wide open spaces.  My Dad and I use to go out for rides on the weekends and we always managed to find the quieter side of life, along the creek, fishing,  Linvilla Orchard, Ridley Creek State Park, small game hunting in Chester county and big game hunting in the mountains of Pennsylvania.  Our family use to vacation at a different State Park every year,  The peace, quiet, wildlife, trails, I always loved our vacations.  I always liked the more rural side of life.

 I have lived in Georgia for almost 24 years now.  This is my home.  I love it here especially, living  along the coast.  I love the slower pace of life, less traffic, warm weather,  marshes, beaches, dirt roads and the  abundant wildlife.  Now don't get me wrong it gets hotter than hades down here sometimes and the sand gnats could disappear and it would not hurt my feelings, but, overall I love it.  Since I have moved here I must admit, my English is not so proper anymore, I can't remember the last time I wore something other than my jeans, let alone a dress.  Things are much more laid back and less formal.

My Mom often says I have gone redneck...My Dad even bought me a ball cap that says "Good Girl Gone Redneck".  I take this as a compliment.  Rednecks are friendly hard working people, do what you have to, to get by, they are very mannerly and polite, always willing to help and lend a hand.  And if having a good time is a weekend camping on the river, running the dirt roads, cooking out, having Thanksgiving Dinner under a circus tent on paper plates;  then I guess I fit the bill!  Holidays are meant to be spent with family, enjoying each others company, relaxing and kicking back.  WHY ON EARTH would I want to have to cook all day, set a fancy table with dishes and glassware that cannot be put in the dishwasher, clean dishes and pots for the next two hours and have to wear a dress on top of all that???  It's just not me.

Now I don't mind dressing up for a special occasion, I'll do my hair, wear a nice pair of jeans,,ok maybe slacks, shoes... other than my boots, put on the jewelry, (I do like my bling), and if I'm in a good mood...maybe even a little make up.

But redneck, take me as I am, suits me just fine.  I'm a jeans and t-shirt kinds girl who doesn't mind getting her hands dirty.   I don't try to be anything I'm not.

Just Me
Peace and Quiet along the Satilla River
Playtime on the River

No comments: