Thursday, May 28, 2015

Sharing some of my birds

Well, now that we have gotten past what I hope is the bumpiest part of the Recovery road, I would like to share with you some of the birds that visited my yard while I was home caring for Don in the Spring of 2012.  I was able to identify 48 species of birds from my front porch that Spring.  Just shows what you can find or what you have been missing by not taking time to notice the natural beauty around you.  I have a hedge of Bottle Brush Bushes that I have propagated myself from one plant.  If you are not aware of this plant, birds, lots of birds, butterflies, bees and did I mention lots of birds love the sweet nectar of this plant.  Shown below is an up close photo of the plant.
Now I must tell you I also kept all of my bird feeders filled, which included hummingbird nectar, black sun flower seed, corn, peanuts and a regular seed mix.  I also have a Flowering Plum Tree and a citrus tree.  I must admit I was in Bird Nerd Heaven!  Here are just a few of some of my favorites: 

       
Male Cardinal and Female Cardinal

       

 
 
Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
 
The Coveted Painting Bunting,the most colorul bird in North America



Carolina Chicakdee and Summer Tanger
 
 
Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird and a Male House Finch
 
Cape May Warbler
Northern Parula in the Flowering Plum Tree
 
  
Catbird and Tufted Titmouse
Some of the other species I found were:  Indigo Bunting, Yellow Rump Warbler, Mockingbird, Blue Jay, Eastern Bluebird, Red Winged Blackbirds, Cowbirds, Mourning Dove, Eurasian Collared Dove, Rosebreasted Grosbeak, Red Belkied Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker and Evening Grosbeak just to name a few...  Are you starting to understand what a wonderful time I had in my own front yard!  I have always noticed many migrant species in the spring but I had never really taken a whole lot of time to watch my birds.  I've always been in a rush to do a show or go take photographs on the island or elsewhere, when all along I had to go no further than my own home.  The Wonderful little surprises you get when you take the time to notice the Beauty that Surrounds Us
 

No comments: