Saturday, July 18, 2015

My Saturday Morning "Me" Time

As most of you know by now, I like to take off in the wee hours of the morning on the weekends to watch the sunrise and watch the world wake up.  A sunrise bring me inner peace and relaxes me after a busy week.  This morning I took off for Jekyll Island.  Jekyll is my favorite nearest faraway place.  When are the tourist are still in bed that is.  Not that I have anything against tourists, I'm glad that they enjoy our little Georgia Jewel.  But it is very difficult to charm the critters or capture that serene moment on Driftwood Beach with people every where.  So, I came on to the island and hooked a left at the round about and the first thing I see is this little happy family of locals:
Mom
 
Dad
Baby
How perfect is that to start your day.  They were just strolling along the edge of the trees nibbling on leave and grasses.  I was able to pull over on the shoulder of the road and watch them for a long while.  If every one had been up and moving about; some one would have surely blew the horn at me or sped around me and scared my new friends.  After they wandered off into the woods to find a cool place to lay down I moved on to watch the sunrise.
I stopped at the Jekyll Club entrance to the beach and started out.
 Peace and Tranquility
The beautiful early morning light even made my poor old pick up truck look pretty! 
From there I moved on to Driftwood Beach for a few moments:
The beach was surprisingly empty and quiet.  All I could hear was the sound of the waves coming in against the rocks...and the Dora F as she was out there running her shrimp nets.  I was able to capture quite a few good shots of her.  I love watching the old boats and it is amazing how all the birds appear out of nowhere when the nets start coming up.
And although this sweet little red balloon adds a spot of bright color along the edge of the water, this is not a good thing.  I know people like to release balloons at their wedding and they always seems to get away from small children, but the are also very hazardous to sea life.  Especially the sea turtles that nest on the island.  They can mistake the balloon for food and ingest it causing life threatening problems for them later.
And I wasn't completely alone on the beach.  There were many fiddler crabs
and these other creepy insects.  I'm sorry I don't know what they are, and I'm not a big fan of bugs.
I left Jekyll Island and headed south on Highway 17 toward Woodbine.  The further south I drove the foggier it started to get.  Before I knew I was in a heavy fog bank.  Which by the way can make for some awesome photo opportunities.  I came across another family, the turkeys!  They were along the roadside feeding in the high grass.  Unfortunately, fog doesn't make for the best turkey pictures.
But I had fun watching the hens trying to keep the chicks in line, I think she said she had enough of this and headed for home down the dirt road.
I shall wrap this up for now.  I hope you don't mind me sharing some of my "Me" time with you.  I'm all about sharing my experiences after I have had my quiet time.  Until next time, be safe and remember to enjoy all the Beauty that Surrounds Us.

No comments: