Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Good Shepherd School House

One of the joys of my hobby, photographing local scenery and wildlife, is learning more about the community and area I live in.  Because once I photograph it, then I have to learn about it and do some research.  I have learned the Georgia Coast has a very rich history and lots of it!  Don and I were riding around one afternoon, I had been tormenting him about going to Clayhole Swamp Wildlife Management Area, so he finally agreed.  He knows he won't win the argument: So it is best to just agree.   Anyway as were traveling down Pennick Road, this little building caught my eye.  I slammed on the brakes and flipped a U turn.  I am famous for U-turns, but I still catch Don off guard once in a while!  Anyway...The Good Shepherd Church was founded in 1894 and this Parochial School House which is right next to the Church was established in 1902.  It is located right on Pennick road in Sterling and was founded by the first Black Deaconess in the Episcopal Church.  Anna Ellison Butler Alexander was born in 1865 to recently emancipated slaves from the Butler Plantation in McIntosh County.  She founded the church in the rural community of Pennick along with this school house which was originally one room and later expanded into two rooms with an upstairs loft where the Deaconess resided.  She taught children in the community to read - by tradition, from the Common Book of Prayer and the Bible.  She ministered this community for 53 years and traveled through Brunswick to Darien on foot to teach at St. Cyprians church.  She passed away in 1947 and was buried on the property in front of this school house.  She left behind a legacy of love still felt in this community. 
 
One of the things that amazed was Don was born and raised in this area and he was totally unaware of this little treasure.  I guess we are all guilty of taking our surroundings for granted and not really thinking about the history behind them.  That my friends is why I like to share with you, The Beauty That Surrounds Us.   

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited about finding your site! I truly have enjoyed your pictures! Keep them coming!!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited about finding your site! I truly have enjoyed your pictures! Keep them coming!!