Sunday, August 2, 2015

Roadside Treasures: Wildflowers

Well, as you know by now, if you follow this blog very often, I love taking photos of the wildlife and scenery in Georgia.  I am not the person you want to be behind when something catches my eye.  I can stop that old chevy on a dime, I am a U-turn master and when I'm on my photography adventures I tend to drive slow.  You also know that I often talk about the little things that we take for granted every day, he things we should take time to notice, they are quite beautiful.  Today I would like to share with you some of the Wildflowers I found on the road side, along the ditches, in the swamps and in the racks of the concrete in the parking lots.
 Please keep in mind, I am by no means a wildflower expert.  I am going to do my best to identify these beauties, but I am human and I could be wrong, (please don't let my husband her me admit that).  Please feel free to leave comments and help me learn.  Let's start with the ever popular and easily recognized Black Eyed Susan, shown below can be found along just about any road side in south Georgia in the early summer.
This next tiny little treasure was found on the Jekyll Island causeway.   It is called the Asiatic Daisy or Mouse Ears, which I think is more appropriate.
 I have written numerous times about the Butler Island Wildlife Management Area just south of Darien in McIntosh county.  It is a plethora of hidden little treasures.  Most of these pics from there I didn't even have to get out of the truck and fight the black flies and mosquitoes, which is always a plus!
Buttonbush
Sweet Smelling Honeysuckle 
The unusual and delicate looking Passion Flower also know as a Maypop
I didn't find this one in abundance, but a few long the backside of one of the ponds.  Often referred to as a Swamp Rose.  Below is the Butterfly Milkweed which we found on that trip to Clayhole Swamp Wildlife Management Area, which is another wonderful place to find these little cuties.
 
Common Primrose
I think this one is an Oxeye Daisy
 Eastern Daisy or Common Daisy
 The name of this one just tickles me...Sensitive Briar, I have never found a Briar that was upset or distraught with me getting tangled in it.  HA
I found this Prickly Pear Cactus flower in Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge.
 Then on our way to the Okefenokee Swamp in Folkston I saw some these pretty Purple Coneflowers.
And of course we found many Water Lilies once we entered the swamp.
Zigzag Spiderwort, I swear I don't know where they come up with some of these names...Anyway, I have also written numerous times about Homer Wilson Way in downtown Brunswick which is where I found these.  The one pictured below, I have no idea, but it is so dainty and it produces a red berry. 
 Well, I think I have done pretty good identifying these lovely little flowers, but these next few photos I really of no idea.  But I want to share the beauty you can find along the dirt roads and ditches.
 



 
 Well, I hope you have enjoyed the pictures above, and again feel free to help me identify these flowers and in some cases weeds.  Remember to always take the time to notice the Beauty That Surrounds Us and of course to smell the flowers.

No comments: