Saturday, August 29, 2015

Highway 32: Zirkle Dam - What "Use to Be"

Usually I photograph wildlife and coastal scenery, but, lately I have been stuck on structure.  I have been dwelling on the "Use to be".  So on the weekends I like to try and pick a place off the beaten path and go investigate.  I was recently told that there were remnants of an old dam along the Little Satilla River, that at one time there was a Community called Zirkle along Highway 32 in Pierce County, just past the Brantley County line.  How can you not be intrigued by a name like Zirkle?  I told my husband I found a place for us to find this weekend.  Now please keep in mind the Community of Zirkle no longer exists.  Zirkle was a thriving Community the second largest in Pierce County between 1905 and 1926.  The Davis Zirkle Lumber Company was the largest employer of about three hundred men.  In 1926 the Mill closed, the people left and nature once again took over.  So I tell my husband, this can't be too difficult...I don't think it will take us as long as it did on our adventure to find Wayfair Primitive Baptist Church. (That's another story).  We set out down Highway 32 in the rain, "Mother Nature" has not been friendly with me lately.  As we approach the County line I see the Little Satilla Wildlife Management Area, so I figure we were close.  We drove over the bridge and found a little dirt road, remember I love dirt roads!  Zirkle road, did I say dirt, I meant mud.  We drove to the end of it to find a nice quiet little picnic area with a concrete boat ramp and parking pad right on the Little Satilla.
I walked down the steep ramp and the river is low right now as I looked to the left, there was a tree down across the river, but when I looked to the right I saw that I could easily walk the bank of the river down to the remnants of Zirkle Landing.
So peaceful...So quiet
The photo is what remains of Zirkle Landing.  The water of the Little Satilla River is what they call black water, but the reflective qualities and shades of red, brown and black are beautiful.
I wish the weather had been nicer, but at least the rain stopped for a little while.  But I know this photo taken downstream from the Landing would be breathe taking if I could have had some sunshine and blue skies.  As I continued to walk down the edge of the river I could hear water rushing, almost like a waterfall.  I couldn't follow the bank all the down to the dam.  So I had to do the billy goat trail, up the embankment and through the woods.  I came out of the woods to see that there was a dirt road that went by a little closer. but my poor old chevy pick up is only two wheel drive and she is a bit of a wimp, beside I didn't feel like pushing if I got stuck and I don't think I could have given directions for the tow truck!
I had to walk back down the embankment and that is when I came across what is left of the steel dam.  What I have learned after doing some research is that Davis Zirkle Lumber Company built this dam on the Little Satilla River in the early 1900's to aid in floating the logs down the river to the mill.  I just find it so interesting to find part of what
"Use to be".
Finally I find the sound of the rushing water, which is the remains of the steel dam and it has in fact become a very mini water fall.  I am mesmerized by the rushing water which is the color of root beer.
 I was thoroughly enjoying myself, taking pictures of the rushing water, the metal supports upright through the water.  The river banks are covered with tree roots that resemble all kinds of creatures.
  I was in photo overload.
  The color of the water.
 So smooth and So clear.
 I could easily sit here and relax listening to the sound of the water rushing, watching the patterns and bubbles, small eddys and whirlpools.  I had the whole place to myself!  Oh, wait a minute, no I didn't, my husband was still upstream waiting for me in the truck.  Suddenly my phone rang and it was my hubby Don wondering if I had fallen in. 
Unfortunately, Mother Nature wasn't going to let me enjoy this much longer either and it started to rain again. I made my way back to the truck to find Don, not in the truck.  He was being a bit of a wise guy, maybe hiding behind this sign.
  He is healing and making such good progress.  I am very proud of him!  I told him he doesn't look handicapped to me.  We headed for home in the pouring rain.  But I will definitely be back to do some more exploring.  I have tried to do some research on this forgotten Community, but I have been able to find out much of anything.  If you have any additional info, please feel free to share!  This is just one more example of the Beauty that Surrounds Us.

2 comments:

dot said...

Thanks Debbie for another good adventure. Enjoyed the pictures. Wayne Morgan has a beautiful picture of this dam if you want to look it up.
Dot/Forgotten Georgia

Wayne Morgan Photography said...

Hi Debbie, I see you have found my favorite picture taking place. I have taken many thousands of pictures here and even have some Zirkle money. Lots of pictures and information about Zirkle is in my Satilla Solitude book and my next book is called Zirkle to Alaska and is due out in November.
Wayne Morgan
www.WayneMorganArtistry.com

wmorganphoto@hotmail.com