Monday, August 24, 2015

Memories on Highway 17: What "Use To Be"

I drive highway 17 between Darien, Georgia and the Florida state line each week more time than I can count.  I didn't grow up in this area, but I have lived here now for 24 years.  This is my home.  As I drive up and down this stretch of road, I see the remnants and outer shells of businesses that "use to be".  I can't help but think of how things use to be.  Back in the day, when Highway 17, the Coastal Highway, was the main "drag".  There was no Interstate, no Wal-mart;  just small towns and little Mom & Pop businesses.  Over the years I have watched many of these structures cave in, be torn down and just eaten by the Kudzu vines, you can't even tell there was anything ever there.  So, a couple weeks ago I headed off for my early morning explorations and I decided to take my camera down Highway 17 and capture what remains from the "Good Ole Days".  Today I would like to share some of those photos with you!
This is what remains of Whiteheads Chainsaw Repair Shop.  I have drove by this building for so many years and never thought to take a photo while you could still read the name on the top of the building.  My husband remembers he and his Daddy going there when he was growing up.  He went on to have Mr. Whitehead service his equipment until he finally closed the doors.
 
As I traveled south I stopped at the corner of 17 and Burnt Fort Road.  I have drove past this little building that says "Reeds" many times, watching time take its toll on this memory.
 
Now someone told me that "Reeds" is now located in Tarborough, but I haven't had a chance to get over there.  I'm thinking it was probably a General Store?  Then located across the street is the White Oak Post Office, a very boring and unassuming building from the outside, a small white cube.  But the inside is full of charm, very small, but then again White Oak is a small community.
Then right next to the Post Office is an old building that I think was moved to this location some years back.  The Tarborough Mercantile.  This sits right on the corner and is over gown with weeds and broken windows.  But I would love to be able to see the inside and step back in time.
 
I consider this building a little jewel of "Days Gone By".  As I walked around this building, looking at broken windows and vines, I found these beautiful white lilies growing wild among the weeds as if they are saying there is something special here!
As I went a little further south my next stop was in Woodbine.  Woodbine has many unique structures and buildings, but my favorite is "The Georgia Girl Drive In".  I can just imagine this sign lit up, hot rods in the parking lot, hamburgers and ice cream.  I have heard they had awesome burgers and that it was quite a hopping place.  When I heard the American Pickers were coming through town earlier this year, I thought how cool would it be for them to restore this sign.
I'm going to end my short tour of Highway 17 at Moody's Bar-B-Q on the outskirts of Kingsland.  I drove past this many times on a Saturday afternoon and the cars would be lined up and down the side of highway.  Rumor has it was the best Bar-b-q in the area.  Unfortunately, I never stopped to try it out.  Mr. Moody passed years ago and his daughters tried to carry on the legacy.  But I guess in the long run it just wasn't the same.  Sure wish I had taken the time to try it out.
 

Well, there are so many more lost memories along the Coastal Highway and I often wonder if I am the only one who dwells on what "use to be", I'm I the only one who can see the Beauty in these shells of the "use to be"?  I hope you have enjoyed my drive down memory lane and maybe now you too can see the "Beauty that Surrounds Us" or at least maybe look at them differently.


6 comments:

Melody said...

I recently had similar thoughts about the changing landscape along Rt 121, the Woodpecker Trail through South Georgia. As in much of the rural south in years past, there were once little motor lodges with names like Dixie Court and Sunset Inn lighting up the roadside with their neon signs, often flashing "No Vacancy." All the small towns had elegant courthouses at their hub, and on either side of the ubiquitous railroad tracks and train depot, were lines of local businesses - hardware stores, beauty shops, pharmacies, "service" stations, car dealerships, and attorneys' doctors' offices - and at least one Methodist and one Baptist church. I also treasure the aging vine-covered farm buildings, abandoned clapboard homes with sagging rooves, and the crumbling shells of old brick buildings along country roads between townships. I'm always glad to see small communities that have managed to thrive and preserve their beautiful histories, but so much along this route and many others is fading away, and it will be a great loss for me when they are gone forever. Sweet memories of growing up Southern. Thanks for your article.

Unknown said...

Beautiful. Thank you.

Ed Drew said...

Debbie, just found this site today. Whiteheads store, I knew back before it was a repair shop, just a general store back in the 40's. Had many clotheslines on either side with Chenille Bed Spreads (for sale) hanging on them. I knew the Whiteheads. I lived on Hwy 17 near there (Spring Bluff two places) and Colesburg (two places) This was back in the 40's. I remember most of those places and many of the people from back then. I later lived in Brunswick and St. Marys (til 1970)
Thanks so much for posting those pictures and if I can share a few stories with you about this area, I would be happy to. I'm on Facebook as Kenneth Edward Drew

Edwin Johnson said...

Moody BBQ was well known by all Fire/EMS & law Enforcement from all around. I frequented Moody a few times. Excellent cooking

galegardens said...

Makes me want to go find all of these places! Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

I lived in white oak as a child. Reeds used to be owned by mr.E.A.P.Mcarthy and was a standard oil gas station. my father w.h.drury operated the station for many years while reads was started in tarboro.