Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Quiet Little Pond in Brunswick

There is a quiet little pond in Brunswick behind the public ball fields which seems to be home to a variety of birds. I have made this small pond a regular stop on my weekend morning outings. Almost every weekend with out fail in the early morning I can find a Great Egret, a Woodstork, a Great Blue Heron, Yellow-Crowned and Black Crowned Night Herons, usually three Green Herons and a very shy Kingfisher. I do see a variety of other birds there also, I have seen Clapper Rails, Black Skimmers, Blue Jays, Doves and Woodpeckers to name a few.

This weekend I had a special treat....I found a juvenile Yellow-Crowned Night Heron and I got about three feet away from him, resulting in some pretty good pictures I would like to share with you.


The two Photos on the top are Juveniles and the Photo on the bottom is an adult, most likely one of the parents. In all I spotted 3 juvenile Yellow Crowns. This little pond is just one more example of the Beauty that Surrounds Us. Every weekend without fail dozens of cars and people on their bikes pass by this inconspicuous little area and never take notice to the lovely creatures that call it home.
Although, I must admit it would probably be a much more memorable place if people would stop throwing their trash out around there and that would definitely benefit the wildlife.
Until next time, be safe and keep an eye on Tropical Storm Fay.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Great blog! I look forward to more of your adventures in and around coastal Georgia.