Monday, September 29, 2008

Camden County Dirt Roads

What a beautiful weekend. I don't think the weather could be any more perfect. On Sunday my hubby and I went for a ride just to pass some time and maybe get a few pictures. I asked him if we could go by Burnt Fort Chapel. So we took the scenic route.
I love to travel dirt roads. While riding down Bailey's Mill Road, I saw an adult raccoon cross the road. So I slowed way down to see if any babies were following. I stopped and looked up in the trees and there I found two young raccoons. I got out of the truck and snapped a few pictures. This was a treat. I love raccoons. We raised three of them when I was child.
Then we continued on our way and headed to the Chapel. I have photographed the Burnt Fort Chapel before, but it was a wet and rainy day before and I wasn't happy with the pics. But I had clear blue skies on Sunday.
This is the Chapel. Well actually a replica on the old Chapel.
Then we drove down 251 to the Camden County/Charlton County line where the Satilla River passes under the bridge. We drove down the little dirt road leading us under the bridge. Usually there are always people camping there. Unfortunately, when some people camp here, they forget how to clean up after themselves. This has always confused me a bit. They obviously like being outdoors, enjoy nature, appreciate the boat ramps and the fact that the county allows them to camp here for free; yet they trash the place and won't even clean up after themselves. Oh well, enough said.
But, today we had it all to ourselves. This is a beautiful place. The contrast between the black water. green trees and the blue skies, the river was high and wide. Just a glorious day.
Well once you pass under the bridge and pass the boat ramp, there is a gate with a no parking sign on it. No Parking not No Trespassing. So I drove thru the gate and within fifty feet or so I saw I lovely butterfly. A Spicebush Swallowtail I believe. So I jumped out of the truck, camera in hand and took this picture.
While out of the truck, I noticed it stopped running, I just assumed my hubby turned it off. That is not what happened. My truck, my trusty 1996 white Chevrolet pickup with 330,000 miles on the odometer, died.....I could not get it to start.
My white knight whom usually rescues me, is right beside me, what is a girl to do....all else fails, call Daddy!! My Dad, bless his heart was out fishing at the other end of St. Marys. He dropped everything to come help us.
Dad to the rescue.
Pulling my truck out. Thanks to Dad and my wonderful husband they towed my baby home...and fixed her THAT NIGHT!! Woohoo lucky me, only the fuel pump. They worked until dark to get her up and running. I'm a lucky lady to have wonderful family.
It just goes to show that family, people, places and such are all a part of the beauty that surrounds all of us. Thanks again Guys..Love ya!!

2 comments:

Lydia said...

This is a wonderful entry. It is like riding along with you on your Sunday drive. Glad you had such good help with your truck. I know how it feels to be in a van that won't start.

Sparky said...

We live on a dirt road and pray every day the county will pave it. The road is supposedly on the list to be improved. We're so tired of dirty vehicles and sand in our motorcycle chains. [grin] But the one positive advantage is all the wildlife we see every day. Thanks for reminding us of that.

Sorry to hear about your White Knight and so glad 'he' is now repaired. And very happy you had a cell phone so you could call for backup. It can be scary to lose one's ride in the middle of 'nowhere'. (Been there, done that)

Well, that was fun! I felt like I was along for the ride. The photos are great. Can't wait to see what is found next. SE Georgia is so pretty and a wonderful place to live!

Happy Blogging ♥ ∞