Monday, November 10, 2008

Finally, Back to Jekyll Island

Sorry it has taken me so long to write. Life has given me a surprise dose of reality. But, I'm not going to dwell on it!! Besides that I have been real busy with Festivals and Shows. I have been to some nice places such as Reidsville, Jesup, Soperton and Darien. The Darien Fall Festival was this past Saturday. I had a really good time. But, one of the best things about it is that now it is over and I don't have anymore shows until December 6th and 7th on St. Simons Island.

So....that means that first thing Sunday I was up and out of the house with my camera in hand!! Woohoo!! It has been at least a month since I have been able to just ride around and take some pictures. I headed for the little pond in Brunswick but nobody was home. On my to Jekyll Island I spotted this beautiful Great Egret standing in a pine tree. She is a picture of elegance
Then I continued my way to Jekyll Island. It was a glorious morning, cool and crisp with lots of sunshine and clear blue skies. Just before crossing the bridge onto the island to the toll booth. I spotted another familiar sight, unfortunately I couldn't get a real clear picture but you get the idea. The Bald Eagle is the most majestic bird. This adult is stunning. There is also a juvenile that hangs out on the causeway, his head isn't quite all white yet and his body still has some white speckled in with the brown. I also saw two Red Tailed Hawks and an Osprey. Keep your eyes open around there. They love to perch on the telephone poles.
I headed for the South End of the Island and started walking thru the dunes when I came upon my first visitor. A cute and brazen little marsh rabbit. He actually made me feel like I was interrupting his breakfast. He was kind enough to allow me to pass by hopping off the walkway for just a minute so I could continue on my way.

I wish I could have gotten a picture of my next encounter but it happened too quick and he wasn't sticking around for a photo op. As I walked down the little path enjoy the morning sun, I startled an impressive six point Buck. I usually see a Doe out this way but, never the Buck. We both froze for about a minute, and as I reached for my camera behind my back and ever so gingerly removed the lens cap and stuck it in my back pocket. He just stared not moving a muscle. But......, when I turned it on he heard the flash pop up. He raised his head, I think he snickered at me and calmly walked back into the brush. Just before I lost sight of him he flipped me the tail!! It was nice experience. Here is a picture I took of the Doe earlier this year.

I continued on to the Southern Point of Jekyll Island which is land marked by a sunken shrimp boat mast. For me this end of the Island is like a treasure chest. You never know what you find here. There are a great number of shore birds that come here to rest such as : Brown Pelicans, Black Skimmers, American Avocets, Oystercatchers, Ruddy Turnstones, Piping Plovers, Sanderlings, many types of Terns and Gulls just to name a few. I, as usual, was not disappointed. Here are a few shots I took while I was there.



As I was leaving the South End I couldn't help but notice all the colorful winged beauty flying around me. There were thousands of Gulf Fritilaries and Monarch Butterflies every where. Here is a shot of a popular hangout for the Fritilaries.
Well this concludes my brief Sunday stroll. I cautiously invite all of you to visit the South End of the Island. But please keep this in mind, these birds are here to rest. This is a pristine place. This is not the place to bring your dogs to run. Dogs like to chase birds and this stresses the resting birds. Also remember that whatever you bring with you, you take with you. There are no trash cans on this stretch of beach. Do not disturb the dunes, birds and turtles nest here. This is thier home. We are lucky enough to have the opportunity to visit on occasion. I definitely class this as a place where the Beauty Surrounds Us. Have a Great Day!!

4 comments:

Mickey said...

Your photos are beautiful and your text meaningful for all of us who love Jekyll Island State Park.

With your interest in photography, I thought you might like to take a look at the Jekyll photos and slide shows (with sound) on the website www.savejkyllisland.org. If you would like to contribute a photo show of your own, I would be happy to post it. Our protect Jekyll organization has over 10,000supporters who would, I'm sure, enjoy seeing your work.

Mindy Egan

Mickey said...

[I forgot to give you my email address the first time I posted this comment - degan@igc.org]

Your photos are beautiful and your text meaningful for all of us who love Jekyll Island State Park.

With your interest in photography, I thought you might like to take a look at the Jekyll photos and slide shows (with sound) on the website www.savejkyllisland.org. If you would like to contribute a photo show of your own, I would be happy to post it. Our protect Jekyll organization has over 10,000supporters who would, I'm sure, enjoy seeing your work.

Mindy Egan
p.s. I can be reached at degan@igc.org

Angie said...

So nice to see you and Don Saturday. Please tell Don that I said thank you again for the help with my tent! Your Sunday photographs are beautiful, so glad you had time to go out~

Sparky said...

The photos are so beautiful! We witnessed a 10 point buck walking, well, trotting across Tyre Bridge Road the other day. I wish I could get a pic of him before he becomes somebody's hamburger. He's absolutely majestic.

I'll be glad when it's time to go migratory bird watching. One of our fav spots is Brunswick (the other is Savannah). We pick up our Brunswick friends and do our viewing along the waterways. It's very cold but lots of fun. ♥ ∞