Sunday, November 30, 2008

Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge

Well, I hope every one had a safe and Happy Thanksgiving. I personally have been enjoying a nice extended weekend. Spending lots of time with my Hubby. Once again I rousted my husband out of bed at 5:00 am and on Friday we took a trip to Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge, which is located right off Interstate 95 at exit 67 in McIntosh County. On the corner of Harris Neck Road sits the Smallest Church in America. Which is so sweet and quaint. The doors are open all the time for everyone to enjoy and worship.

Well, when we arrived at the Refuge the gates weren't open yet. The Refuge doesn't open until 6:30 am. So we took a ride down to the Barbour River Boat Ramps and watched the sunrise. This is my favorite time of morning. I love watching the world wake up and start a new day. Here are some of the pictures I took.

After the sunrise we headed back to the Refuge and encountered a young doe frantically trying to cross the road. We stopped and let her safely pass. When we reached the entrance the gates were open. There is no charge for entering Harris Neck. It offers a boat ramp and fishing pier at the immediate entrance. It also offer many hiking trails and a wildlife drive. My first stop was Woody Pond. In the spring and summer Woody Pond is loaded with nesting wading birds. This time of year is mostly ducks, coots, moorhens and cormorants along with some wading birds. Here are some shots of the Common Moorhens, American Coots ans Blue Winged Teals I saw along with some scenic shots..
We then continued on to Goose Pond. Goose Pond requires a bit of walking but, it was a nice cool morning and bugs weren't bad. When we arrived a t the Pond I immediately noticed the Woodstorks feeding, the Green Winged Teals and a few Hooded Mergansers. But, it was my husband, Don who noticed the white bird all by itself. It was a Snow Goose, I have never seen a Snow Goose so this was quite a treat. Here are the pics from Goose Pond.
We stopped by the Office to confirm that it was a Snow Goose we had seen and Ms. Pat Metz agreed and said it had been here for about two weeks now. We had a very enjoyable day. These are just a few of the things Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge has to offer. But there are many more Ponds and Trails. There is definitely alot of beauty to be seen here and in the County of McIntosh. 'Til next time be safe and take the time to slow down and look around.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Harris Neck in the early morning is beautiful. Great sunrise shots and ducks...love those Green-wing Teals.