Thursday, November 20, 2008

Savannah Wildlife Refuge

So sorry it has taken me sooo long to post this. What a great weekend!! On Saturday evening I asked my hubby to join me for my Sunday Road Trip. He grumbled a bit when I told him if would have to get up at 5 am. But, he agreed. We ventured a bit further north than we usually do. We went to the Savannah Wildlife Refuge, which is just across the South Carolina border. This is a well managed and beautifully maintained Refuge. It has a four mile driving nature trail winding through the refuge. The dikes between the lochs are very well maintained and makes for easy walking or biking. My favorite part of the driving trail is the first mile. This area is chock full of water birds, wading birds and raptors. The day was picturesque. Cool, clear, crisp, a bit windy, but, blue skies were endless.


Our first encounter was a Great Blue Heron fishing in the reeds. As we rounded the next bend we saw this tree just chock full of Cormorandts and Anhingas.

The next picture is actually on of my favorite wading birds, the Little Blue Heron and right beside him was this feeding Tri-Colored Heron.

As we were looking across the marsh watching as Osprey fishing, that's when we noticed all the American Coots and Common Moorhens, they were out in droves.
We also saw a Harrier Hawk flying low over the Marsh and a Red Tailed Hawk, all within the first mile of the Refuge. As we continued through the Refuge at times you feel like you are in tunnels, the way the trees arch over the roads and meet together the light poking through every now and then. It is so peaceful.


At about the three mile marker we spotted this little Doe feeding quietly in the grass and just down from her we saw another pair of Red Tailed Hawk and a Vulture soaring over the fields. The only regular residents of the Refuge we didn't see were the Alligators, it must have been a bit chilly for them. I have seen some really BIG Gators out here. Here is picture of one I saw back in the summer.

Although this is a little further than my typical morning rides, it is definitely worth the drive. This is a place where beauty abounds.


1 comment:

Sparky said...

I don't know how I missed this post! Savannah WR is one of our favorite bird watching haunts. We go there almost every winter now to view the migratory birds. It's a chilly viewing, but so worth the trip. It's lovely there! Thanks for sharing.
Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
Sparky ♥ ∞