Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jekyll Island Tree Lighting

Saturday evening was the official lighting of the Holiday Tree on Jekyll Island. There was everything from giant bubbles, jumpy houses, Santa Claus, singing and dancing on stage, there was snow....yes you heard me snow, a few other vendors along with the Georgia Sea Turtle Center and Coastal Georgia Audubon.
Seen Below is Marge, Lydia, Mika, Cathy, Rainey and Trish.

I was there with our Audubon Chapter. We were setting up to help children and their parents make pine cone bird feeders. Lydia Thompson had done this last year so she was our leader. We also had help from some lovely interns Mika, Rainey and Kathy along with Ms. Chunn. Boy was I glad they were there. This means I didn't have to get covered in peanut butter. haha. I and my husband, Don, tried to help out by being the gophers. Lydia, Ms. Chunn, Rainey, Mika and Kathy helped the children pick out a pine cone, tie a string around it, slather it in peanut butter and then roll it in bird seeds, carefully place them in bags and help clean their little hands. Marge Innes was there helping the kids color pictures of painted buntings and talking to them about birds and selling souvenirs to support Nature Day. Trish MacMilllian was busy modeling our fancy bird feeders and lining the little ones up. Me...I took the role of photographer/gopher and it suited me just fine.
Here are some pictures of the kids making the bird feeders. I think they made some where in the ball park of 180 bird feeders. Let me tell you....that's alot of peanut butter and pine cones.
I was amazed at how many people came out. Some even brought their dogs. Everybody needs a little Christmas spirit.
All in all I think everyone had a good time. I personally appreciate all the hard work everyone did, and a special thanks to Miss Janie Smith at Wild Birds Unlimited on Jekyll Island for all the needed supplies, including the little red wagon.
If you have time you should stop in Wild Birds Unlimited they have a huge selection of bird feeders, yard ornaments, books, and so much more. Definitely go to Jekyll Island and check out all the lights and decorations. They have been stringing lights for over a month and it is beautiful.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

That was fun. Thanks for the picture and information.

Lydia said...

Hi Debbie, You guys were a BIG help. Thanks for pitching in and helping.